Friday, November 11, 2011

First cloth diapers, now what???

So I ended my last post revealing that yes, we will be trying out cloth diapering (which by the way has come a long way and is actually becoming quite trendy!). So what's big shocker number two?

What if you and I had this conversation...

Me - "I am going to try running a marathon!"
You - "Oh, what are you doing to prepare for it?"
Me - "What do you mean?"
You - "Well aren't you training? Preparing? Learning what your body can handle?"
Me - "No, I'm just going to try it out and see how far I get."

What would your response be? You'd probably be shocked. You might be nice and try to hide your doubt that I'd finish, but I'd still see it in your face. You might actually laugh at me. You might say something to discourage me from doing it. All of these responses make since... because I have had no preparation for this big event!

Unfortunately, these are the exact same responses Kyle and I have gotten when we have told people we are preparing for a natural childbirth. The difference in the preparation of childbirth and the marathon situation is that we are actually preparing. We are currently taking "Bradley Method" classes. This is a 12 week class which focuses on husband-coached childbirth, preparation for a natural childbirth, and being educated on childbirth and your childbirth options. This way, when the medical professional comes in and starts telling you things you need to do, you know costs and benefits of what he's telling you and you know you know not only your choices, but that you actually have a choice!

We are not just showing up to our labor and trying to do natural. We also are not planning on doing natural, since you simply can't plan the exact birth you want. However, we are preparing for it. We are doing exercises to prepare my body for the physical challenges. We are actually practicing relaxing (I didn't even know people practiced that!). Kyle is learning how to coach me and encourage me. He's actually practicing this too, so I am able to give him feedback on what is most effective for me.

If anything, we want to be educated on our choices. We can't "plan" for a natural childbirth because we don't know what is in store for us come January. However, we can prepare for it, understanding what will happen physically and emotionally, learning my body, training my body, learning how to relax, figuring out my own weaknesses that will effect me in labor, Kyle learning how to encourage and learning what I need in labor. And just as someone who trains for a marathon may not finish the way they wanted, we may have the same experience. But even if we get thrown a curve ball, and we need to have some kind of medical intervention, we will not have failed. We have been educated through this class! We have learned our options and the costs and benefits of each. It's empowering!

That's my little plug for The Bradley Method :) We are no more crazy than someone who trains for a marathon! A woman's body is meant to give birth!


Did you know almost everything in the hospital is an option...

- If you aren't receiving meds, you don't have to get an IV.
- If you aren't receiving meds, you don't have to have electronic fetal monitoring (they can use a Doppler which is less restrictive and more comfortable!)
- If you aren't receiving meds, you don't have to give birth in the bed on your back (which may me more comfortable for some women, but it does work against gravity)
Foot prick for required state test
- You don't have to stay in the hospital for any particular length of time.
- Even the baby blood test that is "required by the state" is only required unless the parents decline it.
- If brave enough, dad can catch the baby!
- Baths and baby care can be delayed until after baby has time to be skin-to-skin with mom (this is actually now encouraged and has become standard protocol in many hospitals)

...they just don't tell you it is.

Electronic Fetal Monitoring

Kangaroo Care


Some interesting stuff...

- Dr. Bradley personally had over 90% of his couples achieve spontaneous, natural childbirth without drugs or unnatural interventions

- AAHCC records show over 86% of all Bradley-trained couples achieve natural births.  No other childbirth method has that track record.

- Hospital statistics with an unsupportive doctor indicated an 85% chance of drugs, including a 25% chance of a cesarean.

- People have the wrong idea about labor due to television and movies. We watched a video recently that said something like... more than 50% of pregnant women have seen sitcoms, movies, or reality shows with childbirth, but only 15-25% of pregnant women attend birthing classes. Eek! (I can't remember the exact statistics, but the point is that more women watch totally unrealistic, scary births than go to classes that prepare them for the real thing)

"Television shows often depict birth as a dangerous event, even though serious problems are exceedingly rare among women delivering in the United States." (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/12/the-end-of-childbirth-101/)
30 weeks! We took this picture this morning,
and I wanted to put it somewhere,
so the blog is it.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Margy! Way to go on making it to 30 weeks. You look fabulous!! I hope you're feeling well too. We're going to be cloth diapering too, and I can't wait! Sarah Lawhorn has written a few really helpful posts on her blog that I thought you might like to read: http://sarahg816.blogspot.com/search/label/cloth%20diapers

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first started reading I really thought you were planning on doing a marathon while pregnant haha! I was like "why yes, I would be shocked!" Love you and can't wait for baby Addison to get here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. We (Julia had the MUCH harder part) had all four of ours naturally and it has to this day been one of the most amazing displays of oneness in our marriage. And it all started with our Bradley classes. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete