Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I wish I could wear a sign...



I was thinking about this today with all the Amendment One stuff that just happened in North Carolina. It was interesting that the amendment got passed since about 95% of the signs I saw in yards were "Vote Against" signs. Where were all these closet conservatives?

In the weeks leading up to the vote I asked myself multiple times, "If we had a house, would I put up a sign?" From the feelings of anxiety I got right after I asked myself that question, I knew my answer, "No."

Why is that? What is the problem? Am I ashamed of what I believe in? No... Am I not fully confident in what I believe in? No... (I may not be prepared to have a debate with someone, but I am definitely confident in truth).

This is the problem:

When you believe ONE thing, people assume ALL things about you.

That's why I wish I could just wear a sign that showed all my cards in life. That way, when you find out one thing about me, you can just read the sign I'm wearing that tells you all the other things about me. You still may not agree with anything I believe or do, but at least there wouldn't be all this awkward tension where you're thinking or wondering "X" about me, and I'm wondering, "Does she now think 'Y' about me?!" And now either you are going to avoid me because you hate me, or I am going to avoid you because I think you hate me...

It's terrible, really... These unspoken assumptions, or unspoken fear of assumptions, has caused me tension in so many relationships!

Maybe it's narcissistic to think like this, but am I the only one that has this problem?

I think I will try to lay out a lot of my cards on the next blog. Why not just go ahead and create the proverbial sign?...



No comments:

Post a Comment