Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cloth Wipes



I think I am in the majority when I am changing a baby's diaper...

This is my diaper-changing process:
- Lift baby's legs
- Wipe the baby
- Put the wipe in the dirty diaper
- Roll up the dirty diaper
- Throw dirty diaper in bin

It is the most natural thing to put the dirty wipe in the dirty diaper.  Well, what do you do if you are cloth diapering?  Do you wipe baby, then look around for the trash while you are holding the dirty wipe in your fingers extending your arm away from you as far as possible, then go back to baby to wipe again and do the whole thing over?

Why not just cloth wipe too!?  You get to keep the same process of just wipe and put it in the diaper, then wipe again, and so on.  You are doing the load of laundry for the diapers anyway, so now everything will just go in the same place.  I love it!

I did some research (this wasn't my original idea) and decided that I wanted to use flannel receiving blankets to make the wipes.  Thankfully someone from work gave me about 7 old ones!

Here's what I did...

- I cut the blankets up into 8.5in x 8.5in squares -

- I chose which fabrics to put together (I tried doing a design side and colored side) -

- I put the right sides of the 2 pieces facing together (it looks like it's inside out) and sewed a 1/4 in seam almost all the way around.  You want to leave about 4 inches or so, so you can then pull all the fabric through the little hole so it's right-side out (not inside out) -

Now we are here: 

There is a little hole where you had to pull the fabric
through to make it look like this

Tuck that hole in so you have a clean seam

Press all of your sides down to
make sewing cleaner

Then sew around the entire wipe (all 4 edges)
to make it look nice

There you have it, a stack of cloth wipes!


Now you fold them in half and put them in
your wipe warmer, along with the wipe solution
(water, baby wash, baby oil)

If you fold them a certain way, you can even use this little guy.
They will pull out like tissues do out of a box!

Ta Da!

1 comment: